"Globally esteemed celebrity and fashion photographer and director...
Glamorous, dynamic and teetering on the verge of reality and fantasy...
At the crossroads of pop culture and critical acclaim." (Lincoln Center)
"Riveting, shocking, touching...Indrani's direction is brilliant and provocative!" (Forbes)
Award-winning director, photographer and speaker, known mononymously across the film, TV, fashion, and music industries, Indrani creates cultural icons and moves millions to action. Collaborating with A-list artists from Beyonce to Bowie, and brands from L'Oreal to Pepsi, she is "famous for iconic images" (Fast Company) and "visionary storytelling" (Huffington Post). Her films have won over 24 awards, including two Gold Lions at Cannes Festival of Creativity, Best Picture and Best Director at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival, and Best Film at CNN Expose awards. Her work has been exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery, the Brooklyn Museum, Centre Pompidou Paris, The Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, The Lincoln Center NY, The Museum of the Fashion Institute NY, The Rubin Museum of Art NY, the Australian Center for the Moving Image, SHOWstudio London, NOWNESS and featured in The New York Times, London Sunday Times, Harper’s Bazaar, V, Vanity Fair, VICE and Vogue.
“Wielding her visionary work like a weapon, Indrani is using her art and resources for social justice and change.” (Soma)
"A fashion photography powerhouse" (Wonderland).
Indrani is known for her collaborations with the most important artists of our times, such as Beyonce, Kim Kardashian, Kate Winslet, Jennifer Lopez, Anne Hathaway, Lady Gaga, Eva Mendes, Alicia Keys, Kanye West, Will Smith, Jay-Z, Keanu Reeves, Bon Jovi, KAWS, Richard Phillips, Haruki Murakami and Neil Gaiman. Her clients include Barney’s New York, LVMH, Lancome, Elizabeth Arden, MAC, L’Oreal Paris, Shiseido, Pantene, Head & Shoulders Herbal Essences, Remy Martin, Sky Blue, Gucci, Hugo Boss, Wolford, Girard Perregaux, Anna Sui, Baume et Mercier, De Beers, Epson, Broncolor, Mattel, Hello Kitty, Jaguar, Nike, and Pepsi. Her work has been published in Vogue, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, Harper’s Bazaar, Interview, GQ, The New York Times and London Sunday Times. Client list COLLABORATIONS / CLIENTS
She has been invited to speak at numerous prestigious events and institutions, including Harvard, Princeton, NYU, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Center Pompidou Paris
"Her creative lens, coupled with an impassioned perspective on gender realities...powerful and provocative" (Huffington Post).
Indrani works consistently to develop projects that empower women, the underprivileged, and support environmental sustainability. "Indrani is internationally recognized for her extensive work on social causes and her video and stills campaign, Digital Death, against AIDS in India and Africa raised over a $1M in under a week" (Huffington Post).
Indrani co-founded Shakti Empowerment Education SEEschool.org providing education and resources to over 300 women and children in West Bengal, India. With her extensive work with NGOs she was appointed Special Advisor to the UNGMDF and UN World Forums, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, bringing the private and public sectors together to help advance the post-Global Millennium Development goals.
"Empowering young girls to become powerful agents of change," (Huffington Post).
Indrani directed top Bollywood stars including Pryianka Chopra, Freida Pinto, Alia Bhatt and Kareena Kapoor for the female empowerment film Girl Rising India.
MEDIA Indrani has been featured on Larry King Live, Showbiz Tonight, Access Hollywood, Extra! Inside Edition, E! News, CNN, America’s Next Top Model, VH1’s Short List, Fashion Television, The “It” Factor, CBS, USA Today, and in Huffington Post, LA Times, Washington Post, Slate, Time, London Sunday Times, New York Times, Harper’s Bazaar, Vogue, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, GQ,Interview, WWD, Soma and Muse.
BRAVO/NBC DOCU-SERIES Indrani, Klinko and Reid were the subjects of a 6-hour docu-series on Bravo/ NBC "Double Exposure," featuring their work on set with artists such as Lady Gaga, Kim Kardashian etc, which was syndicated to over 200 countries.
"At the forefront of contemporary photography" (NOWNESS).
Born in Calcutta to a traditional Indian family, as a child Indrani accompanied her British mother working with Mother Teresa, and developed a passion for helping those in need. Eager to learn photography and film, she became a model-actress at age 14, working with leading artists around the world. At 18, she returned to India and used her earnings to co-found Shakti Empowerment Education SEEschool.org for women and children.
Indrani received a scholarship to Princeton University, spearheaded student movements to reinstate the study of Sanskrit and create a South Asian Studies Program and graduated magna cum laude (with High Honors) in Cultural Anthropology. While a student, her photography was discovered by David Bowie, who commissioned her first album cover for "Heathen". Indrani and classical harpist Markus Klinko began their professional photography careers together as the photography duo Markus + Indrani.
SPEAKER Indrani has been invited as keynote speaker for prestigious institutions and universities on topics including: inspiring creativity, social engagement, cultural identity, branding, creating iconic images and films, women and minorities in the arts, female empowerment, human trafficking, and environmental sustainability. Recent talks include:
- Harvard University Global Forum 2018 on "High Tech to High Touch: Technology, Media and Collaboration on Social impact," at Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA.
- Princeton University on "The Minds Behind the Most Creative Feats of Advertising and Brand Awareness" at AdThis, Dodds Auditorium, Princeton NJ.
- Princeton University, on "Cultural Identity and Creative Identity: Asian and Asian American Artists and Authors," Lewis Center for the Arts, Princeton NJ.
- Princeton University on "Women in Film," Princeton Film Society, Princeton NJ.
- Princeton University, Masterclass in Portraiture, Lewis Center for the Arts, Princeton.
- New York University, Masterclass in Photography, New York NY.
- Carnegie Hall, The Lucie Awards: Celebrating the Masters of Photography on "A Deeper Perspective" and "Moving Image Photographer of the Year," New York, NY.
- Center Pompidou Paris, ASVOFF: "On Inspiration" with Daphne Guinness, Paris France.
- The Rubin Museum of Art on "My Village: Storytelling and Social Engagement, NY.
- The Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, on "The Mind of the Creative Achiever."
- The American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) presents IDEASHARE: Innovation, Inspiration & Ideas, on "Image-making and Branding: Iconic Authenticity and Sustainability," Baruch College, New York NY.
- PhotoSchweiz Masterclass, Zurich on "Between Pop Culture and Social Engagement"
- New York Film Academy: Masterclass, New York, NY
- The Influencers and Hassleblad presents "On Photography," Camp Equinox, Vermont.
- The Influencers, on "The Power of Art: Brilliance, Pushing Boundaries, The Creative Processes," New York, NY.
- Parsons, The New School for Design (ISDI) on "Fashion, Innovation and Sustainability," Mumbai, India.
- Kalinga Institute of Social Studies on "Women's Equity, Empowerment, Excellence" at International Women's Day, Orissa, India.
- De La Salle College of Saint Benilde "Field Immersion with a Community of Aetas Indigenous People," with IPA and exhibition at Benilde School of Design and Arts, Manila Philippines.
- North American Bengali Film Festival at NABC, Keynote on "Documentary Film" and "Building a Lasting Brand" Orlando FL.