"Rad feminist director and photographer," (Jezebel) "Indrani Pal-Chaudhuri is renowned for her iconic imagery and visionary storytelling" (Huffington Post).
Known by a single name, across the film, TV, fashion, and music industries, for her collaborations with artists from Beyonce to Bowie, and brands from L'Oreal to Pepsi, Indrani's multifaceted collaborative approach creates cultural icons and moves millions to action. Indrani's films have won over 23 awards, including two Gold Lions at Cannes Festival of Creativity, Best Picture and Best Director at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival, and CNN's Expose Heard award for Freedom Day. They have screened at the Centre Pompidou Paris, The Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, The Lincoln Center NY, The Museum of the Fashion Institute NY, The Rubin Museum of Art NY, and the Australian Center for the Moving Image, and been featured in The New York Times, London Sunday Times, Harper’s Bazaar, VICE and Vogue. Her work has been published in 25 books and 30 exhibitions, including the National Portrait Gallery at the Smithsonian Institute DC. The Lincoln Center NY presented a major exhibition titled "ICONS," accompanying the release of her book ICONS (Perseus Press). Indrani has appeared on E! News, Access Hollywood, CNN's Showbiz Tonight, and Larry King Live.
“Wielding her visionary work like a weapon, Indrani is using her art and resources for social justice and change.” (Soma)
Equally noted as a speaker and for her extensive work on female empowerment and social justice, Indrani was appointed Special Advisor to the UN World Forums, and Director of Outreach at the Film Forum, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. She has been invited to speak at Princeton University, New York University, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center and Center Pompidou.
"Riveting, shocking and touching, Indrani's direction is brilliant and provocative" (Forbes).
Indrani is known for her collaborations with the most important artists of our times, including Beyonce, Kim Kardashian, Kate Winslet, Jennifer Lopez, Anne Hathaway, Lady Gaga, Eva Mendes, Alicia Keys, Kanye West, Will Smith, Jay-Z, Keanu Reeves, Bon Jovi, KAWS, Richard Phillips, Haruki Murakami and Neil Gaiman.
Indrani's clients include Barney’s New York, LVMH, Lancome, Elizabeth Arden, MAC, L’Oreal Paris, Shiseido, Pantene, Head & Shoulders Herbal Essences, Remy Martin, Sky Blue, Gucci, Hugo Boss, Wolford, Girard Perregaux, Anna Sui, Baume et Mercier, De Beers, Epson, Broncolor, Mattel, Hello Kitty, Jaguar, Nike, and Pepsi. Her work has been published in Vogue, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, Harper’s Bazaar, Interview, GQ, The New York Times and The London Sunday Times.
Client list : COLLABORATIONS / CLIENTS
"At the forefront of contemporary photography" (NOWNESS).
Born in Calcutta to a traditional Indian family, as a child Indrani accompanied her British mother working with Mother Teresa, and developed a passion for helping those in need. Eager to learn photography and film, she became a model-actress at age 14, working with leading artists around the world. At 18, she returned to India and used her earnings to co-found Shakti Empowerment Education SEEschool.org for women and children.
Indrani received a scholarship to Princeton University, where her photography was discovered by David Bowie, who commissioned her first album cover for "Heathen". She also spearheaded student movements to reinstate the study of Sanskrit and create a South Asian Studies Program, and graduated magna cum laude (with High Honors) in Cultural Anthropology. Indrani and classical harpist Markus Klinko began their photography careers as a duo known as Markus + Indrani.
"A fashion photography powerhouse" (Wonderland).
"Her creative lens, coupled with an impassioned perspective on gender realities...powerful and provocative" (Huffington Post).
Indrani works consistently to develop projects that empower women, the underprivileged, and support environmental sustainability. "Indrani is internationally recognized for her extensive work on social causes and her video and stills campaign, Digital Death, against AIDS in India and Africa raised over a $1M in under a week" (Huffington Post).
She co-founded Shakti Empowerment Education SEEschool.org for women and children, supported over 30 NGOs with her work, and was appointed Special Advisor to the UN World Forums, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, bringing the private and public sectors together to help advance the post-Global Millennium Development goals.
"Empowering young girls to become powerful agents of change," (Huffington Post)
Indrani directed top Bollywood stars including Pryianka Chopra, Freida Pinto, Alia Bhatt and Kareena Kapoor for the female empowerment film Girl Rising India.
MEDIA Indrani has been featured on Larry King Live, Showbiz Tonight, Access Hollywood, Extra! Inside Edition, E! News, CNN, America’s Next Top Model, VH1’s Short List, Fashion Television, The “It” Factor, CBS, USA Today, and in Huffington Post, LA Times, Washington Post, Slate, Time, London Sunday Times, New York Times, Harper’s Bazaar, Vogue, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, GQ,Interview, WWD, Soma and Muse.
BRAVO/NBC DOCU-SERIES Indrani was the subject of a 6-hour docu-series on Bravo/ NBC "Double Exposure," featuring her work on set with artists such as Lady Gaga, Kim Kardashian etc, which was syndicated to over 200 countries.
SPEAKER Indrani enjoys speaking on topics including: inspiring creativity, social engagement, cultural identity, branding, making iconic images and films, women and minorities in the arts, female empowerment, human trafficking, and environmental sustainability. Indrani has been invited to speak at the following:
- Carnegie Hall, The Lucie Awards: Celebrating the Masters of Photography on "A Deeper Perspective" and "Moving Image Photographer of the Year."
- Center Pompidou, Paris, ASVOFF: "On Inspiration" with Daphne Guinness.
- The Rubin Museum of Art, New York on "My Village: Storytelling and Social Engagement."
- The Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, on "The Mind of the Creative Achiever."
- The American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) presents IDEASHARE: Innovation, Inspiration & Ideas, at Baruch College NY on "Image-making and Branding: Iconic Authenticity and Sustainability."
- PhotoSchweiz Masterclass, Zurich on "Between Pop Culture and Social Engagement"
- The Influencers, Retreat at Camp Equinox, Vermont: "On Photography."
- Princeton University on "The Minds Behind the Most Creative Feats of Advertising and Brand Awareness" at AdThis, Dodds Auditorium.
- Princeton University, on "Cultural Identity and Creative Identity: Asian & Asian American Artists and Authors," Lewis Center for the Arts.
- Princeton University on "Women in Film," Princeton Film Society.
- Princeton University, Masterclass in Portraiture, Lewis Center for the Arts.
- New York University, Masterclass in Photography
- New York Film Academy: Masterclass
- Parsons, The New School for Design (ISDI), Mumbai, India on "Fashion, Innovation and Sustainability."
- City University of New York (CUNY) Film Festival Judge.
- Kalinga Institute of Social Studies, Orissa, India on "Women's Equity, Empowerment, Excellence" at International Women's Day
- De La Salle College of Saint Benilde, Manila Philippines, "Field Immersion with a Community of Aetas Indigenous People," with IPA and exhibition at Benilde School of Design and Arts.
- North American Bengali Conference, Orlando Florida on "Building a Lasting Brand"
- Havergal College, Toronto Canada: Commencement Speaker at Graduation 2018